Reporting to the director of finance, the accounting manager serves the mission of Hennepin Theatre Trust by ensuring the accurate and timely completion of all aspects of processing and closing the month-end and required reporting. The position is also responsible for reconciling shows and underlying data. The accounting manager leads the process for preparing financial statements in a timely manner in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). The person in this role should be able to think analytically, work collaboratively, solve problems, communicate effectively, and be self-motivated.
Principal duties and responsibilities
- Manage the daily operations of the accounting department.
- Ensure cash, checks and credit card receipts are properly applied.
- Ensure all accounting transactions are handled according to company policy and in compliance with GAAP accounting standards and practices.
- Review and analyze journal entries and general ledger accounts in preparation for monthly financial statements.
- Prepare all reconciliations of shows, projects, general ledger and bank accounts.
- Lead month-end process.
- Generate monthly financial statements.
- Manage monthly tax reporting requirements.
- Provide financial insights and root cause analysis to management.
- Assist CAO and director of finance in annual budgeting process.
- Support all audit and reporting requirements, such as financial, lease, workers’ compensation and insurance.
- Oversee 1099 reporting.
- Assist in year-end closing.
- Collaborate with director of finance on regular basis to solve complex accounting problems.
- Assist in tracking and reporting on special projects.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Either bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance and minimum 3 years of related experience or related experience.
- Strong understanding of GAAP, accounting practices, standards, and regulations.
- Proficient using general ledger software.
- Ability and commitment to establishing a productive, collaborative culture that values diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Strong attention to detail, deadlines, accuracy, and follow-through.
- Ability to transition quickly from tactical to strategic perspectives.
- Strong communication skills, both written, verbal and interpersonal.
- Ability to work independently, proactively and utilize good judgment.
- Flexibility and willingness to adapt to change.
- Ability to learn new software quickly.
- Advanced spreadsheets skills.
- Able to keep confidential information private and secure.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite programs.
- CPA license
- Familiarity with Salesforce and FinancialForce
- Previous nonprofit accounting experience
- Experience with budgeting and reporting for internal and external purposes
Physical and Schedule Requirements
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the assigned and essential functions.
- Must be able to work nights, weekends and on call as necessary.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications. Management reserves the right to change or modify such duties as required. All employees are responsible for following applicable Hennepin Theatre Trust policies and procedures as defined by their manager or Employee Handbook.
Hennepin Theatre Trust provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or genetics.