Art on Hennepin Avenue (AHA) open call for artists
AHA is a public art project that will select 25-30 artworks from an open call. Selected artworks will be reproduced as large prints that will cover sidewalk level windows along Hennepin Avenue in downtown Minneapolis. Artworks will be selected by a committee of downtown stakeholders. Artists will receive $250 to have their art displayed in the AHA exhibition. There are no fees to enter and/or participate.
AHA is funded by a grant from Minnesota State Arts Board. Hennepin Theatre Trust’s Public Art department will oversee programming for AHA. Hennepin Theatre Trust is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization with the mission to create positive change through the arts by bringing together people, businesses and organizations to create and enjoy cultural experiences.
AHA exhibition dates: June 20, 2023 — April 30, 2024.
Location: Hennepin Avenue downtown Minneapolis
How to apply
- Email submission to [email protected] with subject line: “AHA.”
- Include in email submission, title of artwork, artist name and phone number.
- Submit one digital image (jpg, swg, png) no larger than 3MB (suggested file size 1186 pixels on the longest side).
- Artwork image can be any medium, but it will be printed in a 2D format.
- Artist must own rights to artworks submitted.
- Deadline for entering is 5 p.m. CST May 16, 2023.
- If selected, artist must be able to provide 600 dpi high-resolution .tif image of selected artwork by 5 p.m. CST May 26, 2023. Assistance with high-resolution digital image is available if artist makes arrangements via email [email protected] by May 19, 2023.
- AHA is committed to representing a diverse variety of artists and underserved artists. Per funding guidelines priority will be given to BIPOC and underserved artists.
- Call for artists issued: May 5, 2023.
- Call for artists deadline: May 16, 2023 (2nd call could be issued).
- The Property windows selected: May 17, 2023.
- Hennepin Theatre Trust public art team measures windows due: May 18, 2023.
- AHA selection committee convene: May 18, 2023.
- Artists notified: May 19, 2023.
- 600 dpi high-resolution .tif images due: 5pm CST May 24, 2023.
- Hennepin Theatre Trust artworks to printer due: May 31, 2023.
- Installation of printed artworks begins: June 12, 2023.
- AHA reception: Aug. 2023 tentative.
- Deinstallation of printed artworks: April 30, 2024.