Hennepin Theatre Trust, owner of the historic Orpheum, State and Pantages Theatres, is an independent, non-profit organization dedicated to arts-inspired community cultural development. We present a rich mix of live performances, create inspiring arts education experiences and advance a thriving downtown Minneapolis Cultural District. Our activities include presenting Broadway touring productions, concerts, comedy, speakers and other variety entertainment. We honor and inspire high school musical talent and critical review skills through our Spotlight Education program for high schools. We also create and operate unique projects like, Made Here, which puts art in vacant storefront windows. Hennepin Theatre Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Communications Specialist leads content development strategies and executes a multi-faceted communications program aimed at raising the visibility of Hennepin Theatre Trust. This role creates and manages compelling content that is distributed through all communications channels including print, web, social media, and media relations. Responsibilities include writing and editing content about Trust initiatives and programs; creating presentations, annual reports and institutional and promotional collateral; and project management. The person in this role must have strong storytelling skills and the ability to engage diverse audiences, and a successful track record working in a fast-paced environment The position reports to the director of public relations and communications and is part of a collaborative team that integrates consistent messaging throughout all channels to support the broad mission of the organization, including the sales and marketing of Broadway shows and other entertainment; education and public art initiatives; promotions for our event center; and fundraising efforts.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Planning and Program Management
- Working with the director of PR and communications, design strategy and processes for written communications for the Trust
- Help maintain editorial calendars
- Initiate and cultivate relationships with colleagues and other content owners to assess needs and to develop and maintain consistent, current information for print and online publications that support strategic goals
- Coordinate production process for brand and design work, including special projects and working with outside vendors as necessary
- Adhere to and monitor brand and style guidelines
- Follow communications and media trends, and evaluate effectiveness of communications and marketing strategies
- Identify compelling stories and key messages for informing and engaging a wide variety of external and internal stakeholder groups
- Develop themes and original content pieces; conduct interviews for content or concept of content; determine direction of articles and appropriate channels for delivery
- Write and edit stories and specialized content for publication in print and electronic mediums, including web and social media
- Write and edit newsletters, emails and key messages aimed at stakeholder groups including legislators, funders and donors
- Develop PowerPoint presentations, promotional collateral and annual institutional products such as annual reports, and playbill for signature student performance
- Edit communications developed by other staff for style, voice and accuracy
- Collaborate with other areas of the Trust on planning, promoting and executing recurring and special events
- Attend events as needed
- Support other communications work and projects
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or equivalent experience
- Two to four years of fulltime professional experience in communications/PR, marketing, journalism or related field
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated significant writing and editing experience, including writing for the web, print, social media, marketing content and ability to tailor messages to specific audiences
- Track record in increasing an organization’s public profile through communications (print, web, social media) and PR strategies
- Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Suite programs
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, particularly InDesign and Photoshop
- Experience with AP Style Guide and adhering to brand standards
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people and contribute to the establishment of an inclusive environment
- Successful track record in building trusting relationships and work collaboratively
- Strong organizational, project management and time management skills; able to prioritize, multitask and problem-solve
- High attention to detail
- Ability to exercise good judgement and discernment
Physical and Schedule Requirements
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the assigned and essential functions.
- Some nights and weekends are required.
Please attach a resume, cover letter and two work samples with your application. No phone calls, please. Complete job descriptions are available by request.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications. Management reserves the right to change or modify such duties as required. All employees are responsible for following applicable Hennepin Theatre Trust policies and procedures as defined by their manager or Employee Handbook.
Hennepin Theatre Trust provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetics.