Digital communications specialist
Hennepin Theatre Trust drives cultural and economic vitality in Minnesota through leadership of the dynamic Hennepin Theatre District in downtown Minneapolis and educational programming that reaches every area of the state. Its historic theatres — Orpheum, State and Pantages — and new event center at 900 Hennepin light up Hennepin Avenue with top-tier entertainment, including the best of Broadway and a wide variety of arts programming. Hennepin Theatre Trust is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization.
The digital communications specialist assists in the creation and execution of Hennepin Theatre Trust’s digital communications strategy, managing the website and mass email platforms. This position writes, edits and publishes content for website and email, maintains and manages email distributions lists and data, and creates effective campaigns. This individual has a wide range of skills including HTML, list management, gatekeeping, project management and strategic thinking. Successful candidates possess excellent skills in writing for digital platforms, demonstrated ability to mine and analyze data to create effective strategies that support all functions of the organization, and a deep understanding of best practices in evolving digital landscapes.
The position reports to the director of public relations and communications and is part of a collaborative team that integrates consistent messaging throughout all channels to support the broad vision of the organization. This includes sales and marketing of Broadway shows and other entertainment; education and public art initiatives; promotions for our event center, and fundraising efforts.
Principal duties and responsibilities
Website Editing and Maintenance (50%)
- Write, edit and publish content for the website
- Develop website strategies to enhances user experience and support the Trust’s marketing, communications and programmatic goals; elements include search engine optimization (SEO), search engine marketing (SEM) feature enhancements and optimization, analytics
- Analyze web traffic, share results and make recommendations on how to maximize engagement
- Troubleshoot and solve minor problems with website
- Serve as liaison with outside web maintenance vendors and IT support as needed
HTML Emails and list management (30%)
- Write and edit email content to support all functions of the Trust, working collaboratively with and advising internal stakeholders, including marketing, education, events and development teams
- Distribute frequent email messages about shows, events and news as well as weekly and periodic newsletters to broad audiences
- Maintain, update email lists, ensuring data integrity
- Provide gatekeeping function for Trust digital communications, coordinating effective timing of emails, managing number of emails that reach target audiences and providing a final proofread before publishing
- Develop and execute email campaigns, including analyzing and sharing results, providing insights and making recommendations
- Manage scheduling and fulfillment for the digital marketing promotions package with external clients
Management and planning (20%)
- Assist in the creation and execution of strategy for Hennepin Theatre Trust’s digital communications platforms including its website, email and social channels
- Analyze efforts in search engine optimization, search engine marketing, accessibility standards and develop data-driven strategies to maximize results
- Manage and lead special projects as needed
- Maintain the organization’s master email calendar
- Follow digital communications and media trends, and evaluate effectiveness of communications and marketing strategies
- Serve as a resource for colleagues throughout the Trust on strategies and best practices for digital communications
- Coordinate with internal and external stakeholders, including show representatives, to ensure accuracy of content
- Support events conducted by Hennepin Theatre Trust as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, journalism or equivalent experience
- Two to four years fulltime professional experience in communications/PR, marketing, journalism or related field
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with demonstrated ability to write for digital channels
- High proficiency with website content management systems (CMS), specifically Word Press, and HTM mass email platforms
- Demonstrated experience in Google Analytics, as well as SEM and SEO
- Demonstrated experience developing digital communications campaigns as part of overall strategic communications
- Two additional years of experience editing and reformatting text and images for digital communications
- Demonstrated experience as project manager for major projects, providing leadership for project planning, execution, evaluation and communications
- Experience as a mentor or trainer in a communications context
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications and familiarity with Adobe Creative suite, particularly Photoshop
- Familiarity with AP Style Guide
- High attention to detail and ability to proofread
- Strong organizational, project management and time management skills; able to prioritize, problem-solve and flex with change
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people and contribute to the establishment of an inclusive environment
- Ability to build trusting relationships and work collaboratively, exercising good judgement and discernment
Physical and schedule requirements
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the assigned and essential functions.
- Some nights and weekends are required.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications. Management reserves the right to change or modify such duties as required. All employees are responsible for following applicable Hennepin Theatre Trust policies and procedures as defined by their manager or Employee Handbook.
Hennepin Theatre Trust provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information.
Applicants are required to submit two work samples in addition resume and cover letter. Applications will be reviewed beginning Monday, August 26; position open until filled.