Director of Public Relations and Communications
Our Mission: We create positive change through the arts by bringing together people, businesses and organizations to create and enjoy cultural experiences.
Our Values: Strive for excellence * Practice inclusiveness * Succeed through collaboration
* Embrace new possibilities * Act as good stewards
Hennepin Theatre Trust is a nationally recognized leader in the performing arts. Its historic theatres – the Orpheum, State and Pantages – are among the top-ranked venues in the country. With its wide-ranging international, national and local programming, the Trust helps bring more than 600,000 people to downtown Minneapolis each year and contributes to the economic vitality of Minnesota. Learn more about us at hennepintheatretrust.org.
We’re seeking a Director of PR and Communications that can go beyond thinking about how to sell a season ticket package, pitch a story to local media or create a digital campaign. We need an architect for a far-reaching strategy that communicates the civic agenda of Hennepin Theatre Trust, as it affects our three primary stakeholders:
- Individuals throughout the region who benefit from access to our touring Broadway productions and statewide educational programs;
- Businesses in downtown Minneapolis and surrounding areas who benefit from our leadership in creating a safe, economically rewarding and vibrant neighborhood; and
- Institutional stakeholders – the schools, tourism bureaus, funders and state and local government, who understand the power of our contribution to our shared goal of making Minnesota a terrific place to live and do business.
We need someone who can craft a long-term and multi-faceted strategy to reach these audiences, while remaining flexible enough to seize unexpected opportunities, and who can manage a team with passion, authenticity and a sense of urgency.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Audience and Stakeholder Engagement
- Collaborate with team members across the organization to identify target audiences for the Trust
- Prioritize target audiences and develop key messages and compelling stories that create deeper engagement
- Develop institutional positioning messages that are woven throughout PR, marketing and development communications
- Create and manage integrated PR and communications processes and campaigns
- Take advantage of newsworthy public relations opportunities that may arise unexpectedly
- Lead the team in developing the attitude and the processes needed to capitalize on messaging opportunities created by events and activities of the Trust including those that arise on short notice and that are opportunistic in nature
- Monitor industry trends and flag opportunities for further engagement and message development
- Along with the President/CEO and members of the leadership team, cultivate strong relationships with city leaders, government officials, business owners and key stakeholders to advance the Trust’s mission and discover new opportunities
Planning, Integration and Project Management
- Oversee annual calendar to develop effective PR and communication plans and ensure an efficient use of resources
- Integrate PR and communication plans with the efforts of Marketing, Development and Programming teams to ensure timing is right and that work is aligned against goals and outcomes
- Oversee the project management of key, cross-functional initiatives that support the Trust’s organizational strategies and goals
- Grow positive earned media specific to the Trust’s strategic priorities
- Along with media relations manager, act as spokesperson and point of contact for media relations
- Establish and cultivate strong relationships with local and regional media that foster deeper understanding of the Trust’s work
- Oversee editorial calendar and other publishing processes
- Oversee evaluation practices that that leverage data insights to determine the effectiveness of Marketing and PR efforts
- Work with President/CEO and leadership team to ensure employees are kept current with ongoing developments, plans and accomplishments
- Identify and manage opportunities to improve information flows within the organization
- Oversee production and content of monthly all staff meetings
- Develop and manage the budget and expenditures
- Conduct monthly forecasting
- Work cross-functionally on budgeting for key initiatives
People Management and Development
- Manages a team that supports the Trust’s vision, mission and strategies
- Models the values, ethics and performance standards for the team
- Create an inclusive and productive work environment
- Establishes performance goals, assigns accountabilities, monitors staff performance and conducts annual performance appraisals
- Coaches and develops staff using a supportive and collaborative approach
- Perform other duties, as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, PR, journalism or a related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum 5 years of experience managing direct reports
- Demonstrated experience writing compelling messages and editing materials for multiple audiences under tight deadlines
- Prior public relations agency or public affairs experience
- Understands the power of messaging as it relates to fundraising
- Keen listening and consultative skills
- Solid project management experience with ability to prioritize and direct multiple deliverables
- Proven success working cross-functionally effectively
- Strong analytical skills to quickly recognize opportunities that reinforce strategic objectives
- Possesses a journalistic mindset that seizes on newsworthy events
- Successful track record of creative pitches to media – traditional and new media outlets
- Knows how to create and implement strategy but can jump in at any level when needed
- Ability to understand and identify where the Trust has influence and how to leverage PR activities to advance strategic objectives
- Experience creating and managing department budgets
- Adept at understanding and maximizing trends and technologies that advance communications strategies; Understands how to effectively and inexpensively use photography and video to promote programs, events and organizations
- Familiar with systems thinking
- Practices servant leadership
- Interculturally competent and committed to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Sophisticated use of Microsoft Office and presentation software
- Familiarity and basic skill with CMS (Salesforce), website and social media platforms
- Interest and/or experience in public affairs, the performing arts, or nonprofits.
- Professional networks that include elected and public officials, media influencers and performing arts leaders
- Practical understanding of AP Style
Physical and Schedule Requirements
- Requires some evening and weekend hours
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the assigned and essential functions.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications. Management reserves the right to change or modify such duties as required. All employees are responsible for following applicable Hennepin Theatre Trust policies and procedures as defined by their manager or Employee Handbook.
Hennepin Theatre Trust provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetics.