Reports to: Event Operations Manager
Status: Full-time (non-exempt)
Reporting to the event operations manager, the event coordinator serves the mission of the Trust by delivering an exceptional renter and guest experience and motivates staff to do the same. The person in this role advances and coordinates assigned events. They often act as event lead, overseeing staff and ensuring the event meets or exceeds our client’s outcomes.
The event coordinator is also responsible for purchasing and maintaining accurate and appropriate levels of inventory for either concessions or supplies. The event coordinator takes pride in skillfully negotiating the best prices with vendors, keeping costs low and quality high, and maintaining appropriate inventory levels. Committed to diversity and expanding the Trust’s ability to source supplies locally, the person in this role helps expand the Trust’s supplier diversity. They will also help with either operating our pre-show lounges or scheduling and training.
In all things, the event coordinator is focused on wowing customers and committed to and skilled at creating a welcoming and inclusive environment. Their level of service and commitment to excellence help run an efficient operation, create return business, and inspire word-of-mouth advertising to fulfill our mission and grow our event business.
Principle duties and responsibilities
Event coordination responsibilities
- As assigned, take the hand off of the client from the sales manager and work directly with that client to advance, coordinate, and execute an event. When in this role, the event coordinator is responsible for client relationship management.
- At times, serve as event lead overseeing the operation and customer service for a particular event.
- Regardless of role, deliver a high-level of customer service, ensuring renters and their guests enjoy their experience, resulting in return business and word-of-mouth advertising.
- As assigned, serve as event lead for pre-show lounges, ensuring quick service, high-level of customer satisfaction, and a great donor experience.
- Share ideas and insights to improve attendance at the lounges, including, but not limited to, staffing plans, room arrangements, social media strategies, drink and food menu, pricing, special performers, and themed nights.
- The event coordinator will be responsible for either the replenishment of concessions or of supplies. Regardless of the focus area, the event coordinator will:
- Purchase products for The Hennepin and 824 Hennepin. For supplies, the scope includes offices and meeting rooms in both buildings.
- Work includes, but is not limited to, negotiating the best prices with vendors, keeping costs low without risking quality, ensuring inventory levels are adequately maintained to minimize waste and conducting regular manual inventory checks.
- Maintain secure, clean and organized storage areas so any employee can access and find materials as needed.
- Process and submit timely and accurate reports. Include insights and recommendations to help with decision making regarding such things as product selection and pricing.
- Regularly review vendors with management to assess their performance and determine next steps regarding the relationship with the vendor.
- The event coordinator responsible for concessions will maintain the Trust’s theatre, liquor and confectionary licenses.
Other operational responsibilities
The event coordinator will participate in one of the following:
- Manage day-to-day operation of preshow lounges.
- Assist the event operations manager with scheduling. Coordinate event staff training and certifications (TIPS, certified food manager, first aid, CPR, etc.)
People management and development
- As assigned, supervise staff during events.
- Model the values, ethics, and performance standards of Hennepin Theatre Trust.
- Cultivate a productive, collaborative culture that values diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Other work as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or related experience in event coordination, restaurant management or other related fields.
- Practices a high level of customer service; possesses strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Driven to establish a profitable business while exceeding the expectations of renters and guests.
- Experience working within budgets.
- Successful track record negotiating with vendors and managing vendors.
- Proficient at accurately managing inventories, including creating and running reports, maintaining appropriate levels of products, organizing supplies, and conducting manual inventories.
- Experience supervising productive and engaged teams.
- Active commitment to a collaborative and productive work environment that values diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Ability to work collaboratively.
- Self-motivated, opportunistic, and resourceful.
- Excellent judgment and decision-making skills.
- Flexible and willing to adapt to change.
- Able to keep confidential information private and secure.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, POS, and event management software.
Physical and Schedule Requirements
- Requires evening and weekend hours.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and stand for extended lengths of time.
- At least 21 years of age.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the assigned and essential functions.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications. Management reserves the right to change or modify such duties as required. All employees are responsible for following applicable Hennepin Theatre Trust policies and procedures as defined by their manager or Employee Handbook.
Hennepin Theatre Trust provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or genetics.