Request for qualifications for X Games mural project: “X Marks the Spot: Minneapolis”
Hennepin Theatre Trust and Meet Minneapolis have partnered with the upcoming 2020 X Games committee to install a large-scale mural in the Hennepin Theatre District in downtown Minneapolis in anticipation of the X Games, which take place mid-July at U. S. Bank Stadium. The project is intended to be a permanent attraction for the public to enjoy long after the X Games are concluded.
We are seeking a local/regional artist or artist team to design and install a mural that adheres to the title, “X Marks the spot: Minneapolis” and reflects the culture of action sports, which are rooted in the principals of independence, progression and self-expression. The mural should represent how the action sports culture is interpreted and expressed uniquely in the city of Minneapolis. The mural location will be announced at a later date.
This RFQ process will identify up to three finalists who will be invited to answer a formal request for proposals (RFP) to submit a design proposal for the confirmed site. A jury comprised of members from Hennepin Theatre Trust, Meet Minneapolis and the X Games will select the finalists, who will receive a $300 stipend to prepare a preliminary design concept/rendering and proposal to present to the team the week of May 11-15, 2020.
One selected artist or artist team will be awarded a stipend of $15,000 upon completion of the mural. An additional stipend for paint, equipment and all necessary supplies to complete the mural will be provided (not to exceed $10,000). The latter material, equipment and supplies budget will require an additional approvals process.
This in an inaugural project in what X Games intends to be a in a series of public art installations in cities that host future X Games events that will follow a similar theme, “X Marks the Spot: Minneapolis.”
RFQ selection criteria:
- Artistic excellence and prior experience creating murals (work sample images must be submitted)
- Demonstration of unique design capabilities for high visual impact that speaks to a broad community
- Content appropriateness for all audiences
- Must be 21 years of age or older
- Prior experience and demonstrated technical ability to complete a mural on a large exterior surface
- Willingness to work in an active urban environment and be flexible when subject to necessitated work stoppages due to unforeseen interruptions, weather, construction, etc.
- Execution of a Work for Hire agreement for the artist(s) selected for the final design and installation of the mural
- Willingness to work directly with Hennepin Theatre Trust public art team for mural implementation
- Willingness to work with communications and marketing teams for the Trust, Meet Minneapolis and X Games for project promotions and media interviews
- Female artists and artist teams from communities of color are encouraged to apply
- March 3, 2020: Issue RFQ
- March 27, 2020: RFQ application deadline
- April 10, 2020: Two to three finalists will be notified and given all needed information and materials needed to complete proposal
- May 11-15, 2020: Finalists meet with stakeholders to present proposals and receive feedback
- May 22, 2020: Deadline for final proposals
- June 9, 2020: Selection announced; artist receives and signs Work for Hire agreement
- July 13, 2020: Work on mural commences and is completed by July 19, 2020
- Current resume and bio
- Confirmed Minnesota residency for artist(s)
- Artist/Collaborative Statement of Interest, limited to one page, explaining how you would approach this project and describing relevant experience that would contribute to your success in completing this project. What work have you completed that speaks to your unique ability to create a successful mural with this theme? Briefly share your experience and/or connection to the theme, “X Marks the Spot: Minneapolis.”
- Images or links to previous work samples (up to 10). Must include previous mural work.
- Image list (titles, mediums, sizes, years, locations).
- List any additional artist team members and brief bios