LGBTQIA+ History on Hennepin
The Gay 90s opened in 1957 as a supper club located next to the Happy Hour Lounge, a well-known gathering place for LGBTQIA+ persons. The Gay 90s has catered to a mixed identifying clientele for all its existence. Throughout the 1960s and 1970s, it transitioned into a full gay bar, offering live drag shows and exciting entertainment.
The Gay 90s has become an internationally known location and continues to offer dancing, live entertainment, food and drinks. The first Gay Pride Block Party was held outside of 408 Hennepin Ave in 1981.