Disney Musicals in Schools
Disney Musicals in Schools is a program that develops sustainable musical theatre programs in public elementary schools. Using the unique world of musical theater, Disney Musicals in Schools helps to foster positive relationships between students, faculty, staff, parents and the community. Students and teachers work in teams, developing the wide spectrum of skills needed when producing a piece of musical theater, including: critical thinking, problem solving, ensemble building, communication, self-confidence and interpersonal skills.
Applications for the 2019 – 2020 season will be available September 2019.
Selected schools will receive:
- A free performance license to a 30-minute Disney KIDS musical (available shows include: 101 Dalmatians, Aladdin, The Aristocats, Cinderella, The Jungle Book, The Lion King and Winnie the Pooh).
- Free ShowKit Materials, including a director’s guide, student scripts, cross-curricular activities, accompaniment and rehearsals CDs, and a choreography DVD.
- Free in-school support from Hennepin Theatre Trust Teaching Artists.
Goals of Disney Musicals in Schools:
- Create sustainable musical theatre programs in public elementary schools.
- Provide school faculty with the training and tools necessary to support student performance and production, and to empower them to do so.
- Develop a critical awareness and appreciation of the arts within the school.
- Develop a strong community, including students, parents, faculty, staff, and neighbors.
- Expose students and school faculty to the wide spectrum of skills that are developed when producing a piece of musical theatre, including critical thinking, problem solving, ensemble building, communication, self-confidence, and interpersonal skills.
About the program
The Disney Musicals in Schools program is an outreach initiative developed by Disney Theatrical Group to create sustainable theater programs in elementary schools. The program was launched in 2010 in response to Disney Theatrical Group’s concern that under-resourced public elementary schools were not afforded equitable access to the arts. After successfully offering the program in New York City schools, Disney Theatrical Group began partnering with organizations in other communities across the United States.
4-5 schools will selected each year to participate in the program free of charge. Any Title1 elementary school is eligible to apply for this program, with special attention paid to schools that feed our Spotlight Education Schools.
This program presents a special opportunity to introduce the collaborative art of musical theatre to your school, strengthen your arts programming, and develop partnerships among students, faculty, staff, and the greater community. Through the 17-week program, teaching artists will work with students and teachers, both crafting the school’s musical, and training teachers to become directors, music directors, choreographers and stage managers, building a tradition of musical theater in their school.