Disney Musicals in Schools
Disney Musicals in Schools is a program that develops sustainable musical theater programs in public elementary schools. Using the unique world of musical theater, Disney Musicals in Schools helps foster positive relationships between students, faculty, staff, parents and the community. Students and teachers work in teams, developing the wide spectrum of skills needed when producing a piece of musical theater, including: critical thinking, problem solving, ensemble building, communication, self-confidence and interpersonal skills.
Selected schools will receive:
- A free performance license to a 30-minute Disney KIDS musical (available shows include: 101 Dalmatians, Aladdin, The Aristocats, Frozen, The Jungle Book, The Lion King and Winnie the Pooh)
- Free ShowKit materials, including a director’s guide, student scripts, cross-curricular activities, accompaniment and rehearsals CDs and a choreography DVD
- Free in-school support from Hennepin Theatre Trust teaching artists
Goals of Disney Musicals in Schools:
- Create sustainable musical theater programs in public elementary schools
- Provide school faculty with the training and tools necessary to support student performance and production, and to empower them to do so
- Develop a critical awareness and appreciation of the arts within the school
- Develop a strong community, including students, parents, faculty, staff and neighbors
- Expose students and school faculty to the wide spectrum of skills that are developed when producing a piece of musical theater, including critical thinking, problem solving, ensemble building, communication, self-confidence, and interpersonal skills
2022-2023 School Cohort
The Hennepin Theatre Trust’s Disney Musicals in Schools program engages with Minnesota public elementary schools in the Twin Cities metro area, prioritizing Title 1 and under-resourced schools. School applications for the 2022-2023 program will open be from September 20 to October 14, 2022.
- 9/20/22: Applications Open
- 10/14/22: Applications Close
- 10/31/22 – 11/4/22: Finalist school site visits
- 11/11/22: All applicants notified of status
- 11/17/22: Selected school orientation
- 1/2/23 – 5/12/23: Rehearsals and onsite support from Teaching Artists
- TBD: School performances
- 5/16/23: Disney Musicals in Schools Student Share Celebration
2022-2023 Teaching Artists
Teaching Artist applications are closed for the 2022-2023 season. Hiring for the 2023-2024 season will begin in the summer of 2023.
Teaching Artist, Disney Musicals in Schools Residency
This position partners with a select public school in Minnesota to help establish and foster a musical theatre program, with the primary goal being inclusivity and sustainability. This position will hold residency in this school for the entirety of the Program Year. The Teaching Artist role requires you and your TA partner to visit your assigned school once a week for 17 weeks, partnering with the school to develop the wide spectrum of skills needed when producing a piece of musical theater, including: critical thinking, problem solving, ensemble building, communication, self-confidence and interpersonal skills.