Disney Musicals in Schools
Disney Musicals in Schools is a program that develops sustainable musical theater programs in public elementary schools. Using the unique world of musical theater, Disney Musicals in Schools helps foster positive relationships between students, faculty, staff, parents and the community. Students and teachers work in teams, developing the wide spectrum of skills needed when producing a piece of musical theater, including: critical thinking, problem solving, ensemble building, communication, self-confidence and interpersonal skills.
Selected schools will receive:
- A free performance license to a 30-minute Disney KIDS musical (available shows include: 101 Dalmatians, Aladdin, The Aristocats, Frozen, The Jungle Book, The Lion King and Winnie the Pooh)
- Free ShowKit materials, including a director’s guide, student scripts, cross-curricular activities, accompaniment and rehearsals CDs and a choreography DVD
- Free in-school support from Hennepin Theatre Trust teaching artists
Goals of Disney Musicals in Schools:
- Create sustainable musical theater programs in public elementary schools
- Provide school faculty with the training and tools necessary to support student performance and production, and to empower them to do so
- Develop a critical awareness and appreciation of the arts within the school
- Develop a strong community, including students, parents, faculty, staff and neighbors
- Expose students and school faculty to the wide spectrum of skills that are developed when producing a piece of musical theater, including critical thinking, problem solving, ensemble building, communication, self-confidence, and interpersonal skills
2021-2022 School Cohort
Hennepin Theatre Trust is please to announce the three Minnesota public elementary schools that have been selected to participate in the 2021-2022 Disney Musicals in Schools program. The program is an initiative developed by Disney Theatrical Group to create sustainable theater programs in public elementary schools. The three participating schools include:
- Peter Hobart Elementary School (St. Louis Park)
- Susan Lindgren Elementary School (St. Louis Park)
- Valley View Elementary School (Columbia Heights)
The 2022-2023 school application window is expected to open May 2022.
2021-2022 Teaching Artists
Hennepin Theatre Trust and Spotlight Education are seeking experienced Teaching Artists for their 2021-2022 Disney Musicals in Schools program.
Teaching Artist, Disney Musicals in Schools Residency
This position partners with a select public school in Minnesota to help establish and foster a musical theatre program, with the primary goal being inclusivity and sustainability. This position will hold residency in this school for the entirety of the Program Year. The Teaching Artist role requires you and your TA partner to visit your assigned school once a week for 17 weeks, partnering with the school to develop the wide spectrum of skills needed when producing a piece of musical theater, including: critical thinking, problem solving, ensemble building, communication, self-confidence and interpersonal skills.