Community Engagement & Theater Educator Awards
Spotlight schools and educators have the opportunity to be honored in other ways during Spotlight Showcase. See below for information on our Community Engagement Award and Theater Educator Award.
Community Engagement Award
The Community Engagement Award will go to a production (members of cast and crew) that goes above and beyond the performance to make a difference within the community. This award challenges schools to use the production to make connections creatively and innovatively, fill a need, resolve conflict, provide extended services, and/or engage the community. Some things to consider:
- What are some of the challenges of your production and how can those affect the community?
- Was the show chosen to coincide with a social, political economic and/or community initiative?
- Is there contextual information that you are providing in innovative ways — such as post-show discussions or programs in conjunction with neighborhood organizations?
- What positive change or learning has come as a direct result of working with the community?
- How will the impact of this production be seen/felt after the show has closed?
There may be multiple recipients for this award. Special consideration is given to projects and initiatives that are student driven, and inspired by or directly related to the themes and/or content of your musical production. The recipient(s) of this award will be announced at Spotlight Showcase. Spotlight Education will email each school’s primary contact for the link to your customized Community Engagement application. All applications and supporting materials must be received by Friday, May 14, 2021.
Theater Educator Award
Every year, Spotlight Education recognizes an outstanding educator for their work with theater students and the advancement of arts education. This award will honor high school teachers, directors, or educators who embody the highest standards in performing arts education and demonstrate a positive impact on the lives of students. Current or past students, school administrators, parents, community members or fellow arts educators may nominate an educator for this award. Nominations for the Theater Educator Award are due by Friday, May 14, 2021.