Spotlight schools are invited to perform at Spotlight Showcase based on honors received during the Production Assessment process.
Spotlight-evaluated plays and musicals that receive an Achievement in Theater honor are invited to perform onstage or be featured at the State Theatre during their assigned performance night.
Honored individuals from all Spotlight schools and productions perform in various production numbers at Spotlight Showcase (per their school performance night assignment).
Theater Educator Award
Every year, Spotlight Education recognizes an outstanding educator for their work with theater students and the advancement of arts education. This award will honor high school teachers, directors, or educators who embody the highest standards in performing arts education and demonstrate a positive impact on the lives of students.
Current or past students, school administrators, parents, community members or fellow arts educators nominate a theater educator for this award.
Theater Education Award nominations open each spring. For questions, please email [email protected].
Community Engagement Award
Theater has the power to move, enlighten and promote change. The Community Engagement Award will go to productions (members of cast and crew) that goes above and beyond the performance to make a difference within the community. This award challenges our schools to use a production to creatively and innovatively make connections, fill a need, resolve conflict, provide extended services and/or to engage the community.
Some things to consider:
- What are some of the challenges of your production and how can it affect the community?
- Was the show chosen to coincide with a social, political, economic and/or community initiative?
- Is there contextual information you are providing in innovative ways, such as post-show discussions or programs in conjunction with neighborhood organizations?
- What positive change or learning comes as a direct result of working with the community?
- How will the impact of this production be seen/felt after the show has closed?
Special consideration will be given to projects and initiatives that are student-driven and inspired by or directly related to the themes or content of the show. The recipient(s) of this award will be announced at Spotlight Showcase.
The primary contact for each Spotlight-evaluated production will receive the Community Engagement application. If you have any questions, please contact [email protected].