Technical Theater Career Pathway
About the program
Graduating Senior students with expertise in carpentry, wardrobe, electrics, audio, lighting, and management are invited to apply for the Technical Theater Career Pathway with a submission of required materials including: resume, supporting documentation of work in their discipline, and short answer questions. An interview and director references will be requested.
Upon selection as a finalist, technicians will be assigned to professional mentors and work closely on the creation of Spotlight Showcase and surrounding pre/post show events. Their organization, innovation, and collaboration in the rehearsal process will determine the TWO winners of the Technical Theater Career Pathway – an all-expenses paid trip to New York, where students observe, meet, and train alongside top technical theater professionals.
*Travel to the Technical Theater Career Pathway will take place in 2022 or 2023 due to COVID-19.
2021 Technical Theater Career Pathway Calendar
- April 7: Submission close at 11:59 p.m.
- April 24: Interviews (if selected to advance)
Students will be selected to participate in each of the following experiences dependent on skills and availability.
Featured Filming Location rehearsals, audio recordings and movement filming:
- May 10-13: Featured Filming Location rehearsals. Time: TBD (afternoon/evening)
- May 20-22: Featured Filming Location vocal recording. Time: TBD (afternoon/evening)
- May 24-26: Featured Filming Location movement filming. Time: TBD (afternoon/evening)
Hennepin Theatre Trust rehearsals, meetings and audio recordings:
- May 15: Production meeting. Time: TBD.
- May 24-28: Rehearsals. Time: TBD. (afternoon/evening)
- June 1-5: Rehearsals. Time: TBD. (afternoon/evening)
Downtown Minneapolis production, programming and Showcase event:
- June 6 or 7 : Downtown Minneapolis Filming. Time: All Day.
- June 8-14: Various events and programming. Detailed schedule forthcoming.
- June 15: Spotlight Showcase event at Hennepin Theatre Trust. Detailed schedule forthcoming.
- Technical theater resume
- Examples of technical work, including, but not limited to:
- Images of your work
- Video of a product you produced
- A prompt book, props list, or other supporting documentation
- Short answer questions
- Please describe your technical background and discipline interests.
- In 200 words or less, describe the impact that technical theater has had on your life?
Submissions for 2021 Technical Theater Career Pathway Award have closed.