Technical Theater Career Pathway
About the program
Graduating Senior students with expertise in carpentry, wardrobe, electrics, audio, lighting, and management are invited to apply for the Technical Theater Career Pathway with a submission of required materials including: resume, supporting documentation of work in their discipline, and short answer questions. An interview and director references will be requested.
Upon selection as a finalist, technicians will be assigned to professional mentors and work closely on the creation of Spotlight Showcase and surrounding pre/post show events. Their organization, innovation, and collaboration in the rehearsal process will determine the TWO winners of the Technical Theater Career Pathway – an all-expenses paid trip to New York, where students observe, meet, and train alongside top technical theater professionals.
*Travel to the Technical Theater Career Pathway will take place in 2022 or 2023 due to COVID-19.
2021 Technical Theater Career Pathway Calendar
- April 24: Interviews (if selected to advance)
- May 3-June 15: Meetings with Spotlight staff, mentors, pre-production assignments and rehearsals. More detailed rehearsal schedule and information coming April 7, 2021.
- Technical theater resume
- Examples of technical work, including, but not limited to:
- Images of your work
- Video of a product you produced
- A prompt book, props list, or other supporting documentation
- Short answer questions
- Please describe your technical background and discipline interests.
- In 200 words or less, describe the impact that technical theater has had on your life?
Submissions are due on April 7, 2021 at 11:59pm.